Lately I have been on a healthy eating kick. In an attempt to eat more protein for breakfast I now eat one egg and 6 tablespoons of egg whites every morning. I think I did that for about 3 days before it got old. The only thing still making it possible is the baked oatmeal that I am eating along side them. I take a few bites of eggs then reward myself with a bite of baked oatmeal.
This is not your packaged, slimey, goopy oatmeal either. The texture and flavor is almost like that of a cookie or bar. It tastes great, lasts for days in the fridge, makes breakfast fast and easy and is kid approved!
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 Cup 2% milk
1/8 Cup melted butter (I use unsalted)
1/8 Cup unsweetened apple sauce
3 Cups rolled oats (quick can be used but I much prefer rolled)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix brown sugar, eggs, baking powder and cinnamon together
3. Add in vanilla, salt and milk. Stir until mixed.
4. Add the melted butter and apple sauce, mix well.
5. Stir in the oats.
6. Pour into a lightly sprayed 8×8 pan spread evenly and bake for 30-35 minutes until lightly brown and set. (If you wish to bake later you can cover with plastic refrigerate until morning and bake when desired.)
Serve with milk splashed over it and top with fruit, honey, maple syrup, nuts or any other delicious thing you can think to add to it. Leftovers can be refrigerated and quickly warmed up. I add about 1/3 cup milk and microwave for 45 seconds for a quick and easy breakfast.
This simple breakfast has became a staple at our house. It is my morning day brightener and I hope you love it just as much as we do.
Have you ever tried baked oatmeal?