It’s officially October which means it’s officially “All Things Pumpkin” season. Not that I haven’t been embracing pumpkin everything since Labor Day weekend ended…. errr, or a couple of weeks before that. But that is besides the point! September may be all about getting excited for the pumpkin fun, but October means business.
Last year I shared 5 pumpkin inspired recipes in 5 weeks. I had so much fun doing it that I decided to repeat the fun this year, despite the husband protesting. Over the next 5 weeks I plan to share a pumpkin inspired treat with you once a week. From cakes, to cookies & breakfast items, there will be a little bit of everything.
Week #1 starts with one of my new favorites, New England Pumpkin Cake.
I love how simple this recipe is, but that it doesn’t lack the flavor and quality of something made from scratch. I have tried A LOT of pumpkin breads and cakes, most of which use cake mix bases, but this one by far surpasses all of them. It is so good and so easy.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 can of pumpkin (16 oz.)
- 1/4 cup water
- Glaze (Optional)
- 1/2 cup powder sugar
- 1/2 tsp extract (vanilla or maple work great)
- 2-3 tsp of milk (2.5 was the magic number for me)
- 1)Combine all dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- 2) Add eggs and stir them in.
- 3) Add water and oil. Beat on low speed until well blended.
- 4) Add the pumpkin. Beat on low until smooth.
- 5) Pour into a greased bundt pat and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
- 6) Once cake is cooled completely mix the glaze ingredients and drizzle on as much as you would like. Glaze will set in about 15-30 minutes.
- You can substitute the spices for 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice if you wish.