This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone #EatLightEatRight #CollectiveBias
After our first week back to our regular routine I made a few random observations. Like how going back to “normal” can be really hard after all the fun and distractions of the holiday season. I also noticed that winter finally arrived in Missouri and the temperatures this week would agree. It has been cold! You know, that bitter, freeze your nose cold that no other word but a loud “AAaaahhhh” seems to describe?!
Cold weather always makes me think of two things, snuggling on the couch with my family by a warm fire and soup with biscuits for dinner.
A warm bowl of soup with the family is every bit as good for my heart as it is my stomach. There is just something about sitting around the table and warming up together that I love and find so comforting during these cold winter months.
Recently while the girls and I were shopping at our local Walmart we picked up some Progresso® Light Soup. The cold weather was coming and I am trying to get back into my routine of making smarter choices in the kitchen. I knew having plenty of Progresso® Light on hand would be a great choice, especially on those cold days that are bound to be abundant.
Currently you can save $1.00 when you buy 4 cans of Progresso® Soups!
This offer is live from 1/6/16 through 1/31/16.
The day after we stocked up was the coldest day we have had so far this winter and it snowed! My timing couldn’t have been more perfect. When it was time for dinner the only question I had was what kind of soup did we want to eat.
The perfect cold weather meal to eat with my favorite people.
We chose the Chicken Vegetable Rotini and I mixed up the perfect biscuit recipe to go with our soup. These biscuits are flaky and savory with the addition of herbs and cheddar. They are quick to make and easily became a household favorite, even with our pickiest eater. I just told her the herbs were green sprinkles, she loves sprinkles ;).
Herb & Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits
A delicious savory buttermilk biscuit recipe that pairs perfectly with Progresso® Light Soup.
- 4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Sticks (Divided) Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tbsp Parsley
- 2 Tbsp Chives
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar
- 1 1/2 Cups Buttermilk
1) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and spray or line your baking trays.
2) In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking power, sea salt and baking soda. Cut in 14 tablespoons of the butter until mixture resemble crumbs. Add the parsley, chives and cheddar in one at a time stirring between each ingredient.
3) Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, pour in the buttermilk and stir the mixture until large clumps form. Do not over work the dough by letting it form in the bowl. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand gently until the dough comes together.
4) Pat dough out to be approx 1 1/4″ thick and cut into 12 biscuits by knife or with a 2″ biscuit cutter. Place on baking trays.
5) Melt the remaining 2 Tbs of butter, brush the tops of the biscuits and bake for approx 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 12 mins Total time: 22 mins Yield: 1 Dozen
Progresso® come in a large variety of great flavors. You are sure to find something for everyone from traditional choices like Chicken Pot Pie to something exciting like Chicken and Cheese Enchilada.
Progresso® also participates in the Box Tops for Education program. Box Tops is an amazing program that is a huge blessing to so many teachers and home-school coops like ours. So please cut and save those Box Tops!
What is your favorite kind of soup to warm up with on a cold day?