England has been so much fun. Talk of kings, queens, castles and princesses. For our last and final celebration the only suitable thing that we could do is have a royal tea party of course!
And what royal tea party would be complete without some pretty clothes, jewelry and of course some kind of delicious English pastry!
Cinnamon Glazed Scones
2 Cups flour (I use unbleached)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
1 egg, separated
3 T honey
1/3 Cup buttermilk
1-2 T sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Cup powder sugar
1-3 tsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
3. Separate the egg white and yolk set the egg white aside.
4. In separate bowl mix the egg yolk, honey and buttermilk. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
5. Form dough into a ball on a lightly floured surface. Roll out or pat until 1/2″ in thickness and 8″ in diameter. Cut into 8 equally sized pieces.
6. Transfer to greased baking sheet. Whisk the egg white until froth forms and brush over the top of the scones. Combine cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over the egg white topped scones.
7. Bake at 400F for 10-12 minutes
8. Mix together powdered milk vanilla and sugar until a glaze forms. Drizzle over scones after they bake. We aren’t big glaze fans so I only made and used half of the glaze recipe.
After making these scones I thought two things. The first, and most obvious YUM! The second, Why have I never made scones before?! I will DEFINITELY be making this recipe again and I look forward to trying more scone recipes to.
We had a great time studying England and enjoying our English treats.
That wraps up England, where will we head off to next!
Original recipe found on moneysavingmom.com